Scenario and Activity
Introduction to the project:
The Pearson-set theme for use with Level 4 Unit 6: Managing a Successful Business Project is transformation of the workplace and the topic allocated for this project is: What are the key drivers influencing digital workplace transformation?
Workplace transformation is the rethinking of flexible workspaces to accommodate different kinds of work, workers, and technology. Driven by new technologies and increasing globalisation the workplace has been evolving rapidly to support these constant changes. The changes in technology, roles and competencies have provided countless opportunities for enhancement and change within organisations and as the world or work changes so does the workplace.
Deloitte in their report entitled ` Workplace transformation in the digital age` identified four dimensions of the workplace ecosystem that needed to be considered in any workplace transformation strategy:
● space, relating to the design of office buildings and space.
● place, relating to how the workforce is spread across different locations;
● technology and the requirements needed for employees to carry out their roles and collaborate.
● talent relating to organisational structure and culture.
In the wake of the recent global pandemic all these dimensions of the workplace ecosystem are having to be reimagined. Many organisations already have had to refocus their workforce plan to ensure a fully remote workforce has the capabilities and technologies available to continue employee connectivity, engagement and productivity. Navigating this new way of work is crucial to support business operations and far-reaching implications for the future.
You are employed as a research assistant within the professional development team of an organisation [an organisation of your choice – your own place of work if appropriate]. You have been asked to conduct a small-scale project, in the form of an investigative case study, into the Workplace Transformation within the organisation which is to be presented as a business case for management. The project will involve investigating on the key drivers influencing digital workplace transformation.
This will be presented to your management as a business case report, followed by a performance review in which you will need to reflect upon the project in relation to your own personal and professional development through this project.
You must address the following tasks to successfully complete this project:
Section 1 – Project planning
1. Set your project aims/ objectives in line with the research theme and the topic allocated.
2. Devise a project management plan to map out how you intend to meet the project objectives that covers aspects of cost, scope, time, quality, communication, risk and resources.
3. Chart out activities and tasks as required in your project to make the project a success? Note the milestones, major events or phases in your project.
4. Create a work break down structure and a Gantt chart to track the activities to be undertaken.
Section 2 – Conduct Quantitative/Qualitative research
1. Use appropriate research methodologies to collect data for the organisation currently using to support talent management and what they feel could be done better to improve current practices.
2. Conduct secondary research of other organisations to see what type of talent management initiatives they are following.
3. Research the value and benefits of addressing talent management in terms of improving business performance
4. Focus on areas of good practice to build and support your research theme.
Section 3 – Present Findings
1. Collate your research and critically analyse your findings.
2. Produce and present the project including an evaluation of tools used to gather research and data to justify your recommendations for the best talent management practices.
3. Make a valid and meaningful conclusion that attempts to address the objectives of the research.
Section 4 – Reflective Practice
1. Evaluate the project life cycle and the different stages undertaken, reflecting upon the research methods applied for completing the business project and how successful they were in achieving the intended outcomes, what were the key factors to consider when compiling your PMP.
2. Complete a performance review form (Template is provided in Appendix 1) to critically reflect upon the project plan, process and outcomes in terms of your own personal and professional development. Think about how well you have performed and achieved your project objectives, what obstacles did you have to overcome? What worked well or not well? What have you learnt from completing this project?
3. Conduct your project according to your stated project plan and meet with your tutor to receive a sign-off at each stage of the project process. A logbook should be maintained to record the development of each stage (A logbook template is provided here in Appendix 2)